In this unit, learners build on their previous knowledge of the Periodic Table, particle theory and chemical reactions to develop their knowledge of:
- the structure of an atom
- the methods and discoveries of Rutherford and other scientists
- the structures of the first twenty elements of the Periodic Table
- trends in groups and periods
- preparing some common salts by the reactions of metals or metal carbonates with acid
- writing word equations to describe reactions of metals or metal carbonates with acids.